A boat provides the best way to explore the mesmerizing coast of the Bay of La Spezia and the neighboring Cinque Terre. If you want to sail in the Gulf of Poets, one great option is to hire a boat in Portovenere. Its local marina was awarded the Blue Flag for environmental sustainability in 2016, and offers a variety of boat rentals.
Sail in a grand style with “Soleil 33”
Grand Hotel Portovenere, the boutique hotel overlooking the harbor and medieval historic center, offers its own motoscafo. The “Soleil 33” motorboat is full of charm, with an elegant look and refined finishes. It was built in the shipyards of the Côte d’Azur with a winning combination of high technology, Italian design and the passion for tradition by maritime artisan Tullio Abbate.
As expert travel blogger Georgette Jupe from Italy Magazine put it:
“[Portovenere’s] clean waters beckon to locals looking for a cool respite during the summer’s hottest months, and if I were you, I’d hire the Grand Hotel Portovenere’s new new motoscafo to take me around this pretty island and around Portovenere itself. I can’t imagine a classier way to zip around this majestic place, it’s a place that should be visited by boat.”
Soleil 33 can host up to 10 passengers and is equipped with comfortable pillows, a refreshing awning, wi-fi internet, fridge, shower and toilet. It can be rented with a skipper, and snorkeling equipment is provided upon request.
Boat rentals in Portovenere
Apart from the exclusive motorboat of Grand Hotel Portovenere, you can hire different kinds of boats directly at the harbor or, is some cases, at preferential rates through your hotel in the Gulf of Poets.
For example, you could choose “Lucciolo IV”, a sailboat built in 1984 in Lavagna’s Cantieri Sangermani. The unique prototype features a medium-light structure with fiberglass and Kevlar, and can host up to 6 people.
Otherwise, you can get a rustic feel by renting “Moby Dick”, an ex-fishing wood boat built in Syracuse in 1980. It welcomes up to 12 passengers, and features a kitchen with barbecue.
Fancy something more luxurious? The «Airon Marine 400 T TOP» is a fantastic yacht with 2 bedrooms, indoor and outdoor kitchens, and al fresco table for 8!
If you love history and sports, then you might opt for “Il Cosca Gemini”, a wood motorboat from the 1970s. It participated in the historic Viareggio-Bastia-Viareggio regatta!
Sailing Tours around Portovenere, the Gulf of Poets and Cinque Terre
Once you hire a boat, what sailing options do you have? You can choose from stunning boat excursions that last from a couple of hours to all day long.
Here are some ideas:
- Gulf of Poets (Portovenere, Palmaria, La Spezia, Lerici). Be inspired by the waters and landscapes that inspired writers David Herbert Lawrence and Percy Bysshe Shelley, painter George Sand, and poet Lord Byron.
- Portovenere & Aperitivo at sunset. A tour around Portovenere and its archipelago of Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto. Then, in the most magic moment of the day, enjoy an aperitif on board at sunset!
- Cinque Terre. A relaxing day in the Cinque Terre National Park, exploring the marvelous coastline, stopping for swims in hidden coves that can only be reached by sea.
- Portofino. A day in one of the most glamorous and famous harbors of the Ligurian Riviera.
- Weekend boat excursions. Travel in style around Cinque Terre, Portofino, Portovenere (Liguria), Isola di Capraia and Isola d’Elba (Tuscany) and Saint Florent (Corsica).
We recommend hiring your boat and booking the excursions in advance. You might not find any last-minute availability, especially during summer.
Did you ever sail in the Gulf of Poets?
Did you discover hidden coves and secluded beaches that can only be reached by boat? Share below!